Dandelion greens are one of my favorite bitters! They’re not for everyone, but I enjoy their unique flavor.
1 pound fresh organic dandelion greens
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
Juice of 1 small lemon wedge (to taste)
1. Put the olive oil in a large, deep sauce pan over medium heat. When hot, add the sliced garlic, pepper flakes, and some sea salt and black pepper and cook for about 1 minute.
2. Add the greens and stock. Cover and cook until the greens are wilted (about 5 minutes). If you cook the greens too long you lose the vibrant green color of the dandelion.
3. Add the minced ginger and sauté for about 3 more minutes.
4. Taste for seasoning and add black pepper and sea salt as needed.
5. Squeeze the lemon wedge over the cooked greens.
6. Recipe can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature.