Cooler weather means it’s apple tart time. My favorite gluten-free recipe is this cinnamon-spiked apple tart. The crust is not your typical crust. It is a bit doughy, but still pretty scrumptious. The tart is easy to make, kid-friendly, not-too-sweet and delicious! I hope you’ll try it.
- 2/3 cup sorghum four
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 3/4 cup (1 cup if mixture is too dry) seltzer water
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Round 9 inch glass baking dish
Mix all the ingredients together. Pour into a greased (I used a little of the walnut oil) baking dish and place in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and add the filling on top (see below).
- 4 organic tart apples (peeled and sliced thinly)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar ( If needed. I don’t add the sugar when I make the recipe because I feel the apple tart is sweet enough.)
Place the filling ingredients in a small pan and slowly heat up until the ghee has melted and the apples are evenly coated in the mixture.
Add the tart filling on top of the crust mixture.
Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and coconut sugar if you like.
Bake on 400 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes.
Cook longer if you like a crisper crust.
Tip – If you are a nut lover, add walnuts or pecans to the filling recipe.