- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 head of cabbage, shredded (core removed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
Finely chop the onion, garlic, ginger and chili in a food processor or chop with a knife. Make sure if you use a food processor the mixture does not become a paste.
Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over low heat and fry the onion mixture until softened, but not browned.
Add the cumin seeds and turmeric to the pan and stir for 1 minute.
Mix in the cabbage, stirring until all the cabbage is well coated with the turmeric mixture.
Add the salt, pepper, ground cumin, coriander, and chili powder.
Stir the cabbage, then cook for 10 minutes with the pan partly covered, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is soft. If the cabbage mixture begins to stick to the pan or is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons water.
Stir in the ghee and season with salt, to taste.