It’s really hard to find a granola without oats. Even granola that says it’s made with gluten-free oats is questionable. In addition, most granolas are very high in sugar. Therefore, I have put together a recipe with no added sugar that is made with all natural and paleo ingredients.
2 tablespoons almonds (soaked*)
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (soaked*)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Handful of dried, fresh, or frozen organic blueberries (or other fruit of your choice)
Sprinkle of Vietnamese cinnamon
Pinch of Celtic salt
Unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
*Soaking Tips and Instructions:
Soak nuts and seeds:
1. To remove or reduce phytic acid.
2. To remove or reduce tannins.
3. To neutralize the enzyme inhibitors.
4. To encourage the production of beneficial enzymes.
5. To increase the amounts of vitamins, especially B vitamins.
6. To break down gluten and make digestion easier.
7. To make the proteins more readily available for absorption.
8. To prevent mineral deficiencies and bone loss.
9. To help neutralize toxins in the colon and keep the colon clean.
10. To prevent many health diseases and conditions.
Soak your nuts and seeds in water, salt water, or a warm water mixture with something acidic like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Within 7 to 24 hours the enzyme inhibitors are neutralized and the anti-nutrients are broken down regardless of the method you choose. Don’t forget to rinse the nuts and seeds with filtered water before storing, drying, or eating them.
If you choose to eat the nuts or seeds wet, make little batches and store them in the refrigerator. Or, you can dry the nuts and seeds in a dehydrator or oven on the lowest possible setting for 24 – 48 hours to remove all moisture.
Take 1 tablespoon of the pumpkin seeds and your almonds and pulse in the food processor a few times on low-speed until it reaches the consistency you like.
Put the mixture from the food processor into a bowl.
Add chia seeds, coconut flakes, blueberries, salt, and cinnamon.
Add the milk of your choosing and enjoy!